Tuesday, April 22, 2014

THE HOPE OF THE COMING OF CHRIST

Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea.  Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.  And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God.  And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”  Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And He said to me, “Write, for these words are true and faithful.”  And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.  He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son.  (Revelation 21:1-7)

Have you ever stood at the bedside of a loved one as they breathed their last? 

I have been to many homes, hospital rooms, and hospice units when death has delivered this brutal blow—and there is a grieving family.  But, in the midst of this, I am so thankful that I can share with them the words of Jesus,

“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.  In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you.  I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.  (John 14:1-3). 

And I close with this great promise of our Lord, “Because I live, you shall live also.”  (John 14:19b).

The resurrection of Jesus changes everything!  In His defeat of death, we have the hope of heaven.  This same Jesus who rose from the sepulcher after three days, and rose into the skies after forty days is returning from the stars some day—maybe this day! 

John tells us heaven is for real.  Before there were any books about heaven, there was the Bible.  Before there were any movies from Hollywood, there was a message from heaven.  We will look into Revelation 21-22 this week to explore the marvel of what John saw as the Spirit gave him a glimpse of the glory to come!  How exciting!

No comments: