Thursday, June 18, 2009

YOU ARE IN GOOD HANDS

A friend of mine from India sent this to me the other day. I have seen it- before and perhaps you have, but it is a timely reminder:

A basketball in my hands is worth about $19.
A basketball in Michael Jordan's hands is worth about $33 million.
It depends whose hands it's in.

A baseball in my hands is worth about $6.
A baseball in Roger Clemens' hands is worth $475 million.
It depends on whose hands it's in.

A tennis racket is useless in my hands.
A tennis racket in Andre Agassi's hands is worth millions.
It depends whose hands it's in.

A rod in my hands will keep away an angry dog.
A rod in Moses' hands will part the mighty sea.
It depends whose hands it's in.

A slingshot in my hands is a kid's toy.
A slingshot in David's hand is a mighty weapon.
It depends whose hands it's in.

Two fish and 5 loaves of bread in my hands is a couple of fish sandwiches.
Two fish and 5 loaves of bread in Jesus' hands will feed thousands.
It depends whose hands it's in.

Nails in my hands might produce a birdhouse.
Nails in Jesus Christ's hands will
Produce salvation for the entire world.
It depends whose hands it's in.

As you see now, it depends whose hands it's in.
So put your concerns, your worries, your fears, your hopes, your dreams, your families and your relationships in God's hands because...
It depends whose hands it's in.


Looking at the circumstances that America finds itself in, on this month of celebrating our nation’s birth, and considering the challenges facing our church and evangelical Christianity as a whole, could lead us to throw up our hands and give up! In one sense, that would be a good thing!

If we give up on trying to be God and fix things beyond our control and lift our hands in praise and faith to an Almighty God we beseech in prayer, then that is a great thing! That isn’t to say that God might not see fit to use us as extensions of His hands, but that is the key after all. Too often we try to use God as our servant to accomplish our will, when He wants to use us as His servants to accomplish His will. But that can only be done as we relinquish control—letting go and letting God. This isn’t passivity, but it is Divine activity. Jesus gave the formula in John15:5-8:

5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

It would be good to recall the simple truth many of us learned as children: “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands!” That’s you and me, brothers and sisters.

No comments: