Monday, November 23, 2009

The Manhattan Declaration

Have you read it? Have you signed it?
I have!

In a culture that is increasingly becoming oppressive of the right to live and speak according to the dictates of conscience, aggressive in the attack on the family and systematic obliteration of gender, and expansive in its malignant assault on the sanctity of human life, it is time to speak. I know that some would question joining the Roman Catholics and Orthodox in signing any document, but this is not a declaration of faith which asks one to dilute any cherished doctrine. Rather, it is a declaration of freedom--that as citizens of America, there are issues too large for us to ignore and that there should be a willingness to partner with those who, in these fundamental standards, have agreement.

I am reminded of the words of German Pastor, Martin Niemoller, as stated by him in an address to the United States Congress in 1968,
"When Hitler attacked the Jews I was not a Jew, therefore I was not concerned. And when Hitler attacked the Catholics, I was not a Catholic, and therefore, I was not concerned. And when Hitler attacked the unions and the industrialists, I was not a member of the unions and I was not concerned. Then Hitler attacked me and the Protestant church--and there was nobody left to be concerned."

We must stand tall, stay true and speak tenaciously while we have yet the opportunity to do so. Please, would you go to the link, prayerfully read and carefully and consider signing the declaration?

http://manhattandeclaration.org/

No comments: