Monday, July 19, 2010


SURRENDERED TO THE SAVIOR

It was the early 1700’s, when a young aristocrat named Nikolas Zinzendorf viewed a painting by Domenico Feti called “Ecce Homo” (“Behold the Man”). He read the words beneath, “I have done this for you; what have you done for me?” As his gaze was transfixed on the painting, his heart was transformed by the message. He committed his life to Christ and started a great missions movement, which still has an impact today.

Over a century later, a young lady, Frances Havergal, saw the same picture with similar effect. Having the heart of a poet, her expression of gratitude became a hymn that still challenges us today,


“I gave my life for thee,
My precious blood I shed,
That thou might’st ransomed be,
And quickened from the dead;
I gave, I gave my life for thee,
What hast thou given for me?”


That is the point Paul presents in Romans 12:1, “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.”

“I have done this for you; what have you done for me?”

2 comments:

rons corner said...

Awesome poem. Thanks for posting.

Dennis Thurman said...

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It is encouraging when people do. One wonders at times if anyone is out there in cyberspace. :)