Thursday, September 19, 2019

THE SHOWING OF MERCY AND LONG-SUFFERING



“However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life.” (1 Timothy‬ ‭1:16‬‬)

Paul was overwhelmed by the thought that God would be merciful to him.  He described the way he was in 1 Timothy 1:13,15, “although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. ...This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.”

Imagine, this great defender of the faith had once been a denier of it.  He who became an apostle had been an antagonist. Paul identified himself as the biggest sinner in the world. That’s how he felt. But God had shown him mercy and had been long-suffering with him. None in the church would have suspected what their enemy would become,  but God changed him. That’s what He does—and He transformed me too!

How much God put up with in suffering so long with me!  I did virtually everything I could to die and go to hell, but He pursued me relentlessly!  God spared me and saved me.

He is patient and merciful each day. But, even though God is slow to anger, the flood of wrath building day by day will eventually burst through. None who have not cried out for mercy will then be spared.

What do we need to do about this truth? As a sinner without Christ, I must repent.  I must cry out as the wicked tax-collector, “God, be merciful to me a sinner!” (Luke 18:13). As one saved by Christ, I ought rejoice.  I must proclaim with Paul that God has spared the chief of sinners!

Then, to us who have been shown mercy, we must show mercy.  We cannot expect God to give mercy to us, if we fail to grant mercy to others.  Jesus said, “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy” (Matt.5:7). I ought to be able to suffer long with others like me, when a holy God has suffered long with me.  If I cannot express mercy and long-suffering, it means that I have not experienced it!

No comments: