Wednesday, December 11, 2019

CHRIST’S RELATIONSHIP TO THE FLOCK: A Loving Relationship



If you are ever tempted to think that God doesn’t love you, just look at the cross.  Roman power did not nail Him there, but love held Him on the tree!

This meant that His death was voluntary. He said, “I lay down My life,” (v.15b, 17-18).  He could have summoned the armies of angel warriors to swoop from heaven with fiery swords and slay His foes.  He, that by a cry of command, summoned a dead friend from a tomb, could speak a word and kill His enemies. Yet, He did not!

And notice it wasn’t just His love for the flock, but His love for the Father that moved Him to obedience, “This command I have received from My Father.” (v.18c). So, it is for the true shepherds—the spiritual leaders of the church today (Read John 21:15-19).

His death was voluntary and vicarious, “I lay down My life for the sheep.” (v.15b).  “Vicarious” means, “taking the place of another.”  Jesus suffered and was sacrificed for the sheep.

“Crown of thorns, the spear, deep in His side;
And all the pain should have been mine.
Those rusty nails were meant for me,
But Jesus took them, and let me go free!
And I should have been crucified,
I should have suffered and died.
I should have hung on the cross in disgrace,
But Jesus, God’s Son, took my place.” (Gordon Jensen).

No comments: