Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I AM HIS AND HE IS MINE


"You must not profane My holy name; I must be treated as holy among the Israelites. I am the Lord who sets you apart, the One who brought you out of the land of Egypt to be your God; I am the Lord." (Leviticus 22:32, 33 HCSB)

God and His people are bound together. He has chosen us in sovereign grace. We are set apart to love Him wholly--a holy people. We have responded to His call and chosen Him to be our God, and He loves us wholly--this holy One.

The Lord told Israel that He brought them out of bondage, in order to bond them to Himself. No more would they be in a relationship of iron fetters, but in a romance of loving commitment.

God is holy. He is set apart from everything else--all that has been created--and that is everything but Himself. There is none like Him.

We are to be holy--set apart for Him--unlike any other people in this world. That is how special the nation of Israel was. They were the chosen people. God entered into a covenant relationship with them.

Similar terminology is now used of the church. We also are people of the covenant--the New Covenant. Those who have received Christ are in that love relationship with God.

I am His and He is mine!

That message is woven into the fabric of Leviticus. We read some of the myriad of laws and nod our head in agreement--yes, I see why the Israelis were expected to live that way--to do this and not to do that--things like not committing sexual sin. Other regulations we read--the seeming maze of God's intricate expectations--and shake our head with confusion, musing, as to why couldn't they wear clothes fashioned from two different materials.

Some commands we read and say, "That's a big deal!" Others we read and wonder, "What's the big deal?"

Here's the big deal--in every case: I am His and He is mine. We must never forget it. God was saying to His people, I have set you apart. You are not to behave like the Egyptians where you once lived. You are not to be like the Canaanites where you are going to live. There is not one dimension of life that will not be touched by this truth. In the field, in the house, on the job, at the altar, whatever you put into your body, wear on your body, do with your body--never forget that you are set apart.

"Once I was lost in sin's degradation,
Jesus came down to bring me salvation,
Lifted me up from sorrow and shame,
Now I belong to Him;

Now I belong to Jesus,
Jesus belongs to me,
Not for the years of time alone,
But for eternity." (Norman J. Clayton)

No comments: