Saturday, February 25, 2012

MINISTRY IMPERATIVES


"The Lord spoke to Moses: 'Bring the tribe of Levi near and present them to Aaron the priest to assist him. They are to perform duties for him and the entire community before the tent of meeting by attending to the service of the tabernacle.' " (Numbers 3:5-7 HCSB)

Every Christian has spiritual gifts and is called to ministry. Every Christian is a priest and has no need of any mediator other then Christ, who is the only Mediator between God and man. This is the clear teaching of the New Testament.

Having said that, we recognize that among us are those called to the ministry of the Word--whose assignment and giftedness are to lead the church to worship God. I am one of those. It isn't that I am any better than anyone else, more favored by God, or have an inside track to heaven--no, it's just that I and others of similar calling, have a different role and responsibility. As I write these words and know that tomorrow I will stand before the people with an open Bible and seek to bring the church into an encounter with the Eternal One, the gravity of my task presses upon me, as what the prophets called, "the burden of the Lord." I am never really away from it. A minister of the Word is what I am; the ministry of the Lord is what I do.

It is an imperative. Paul said, "For if I preach the gospel, I have no reason to boast, because an obligation is placed on me. And woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!" (1 Corinthians 9:16 HCSB) He thrust this compulsion on young Timothy, "I solemnly charge you before God and Christ Jesus, who is going to judge the living and the dead, and because of His appearing and His kingdom: Proclaim the message; persist in it whether convenient or not; rebuke, correct, and encourage with great patience and teaching. For the time will come when they will not tolerate sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, will multiply teachers for themselves because they have an itch to hear something new. They will turn away from hearing the truth and will turn aside to myths. But as for you, be serious about everything, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." (2 Timothy 4:1-5 HCSB) Now, those truths are engraved in my soul and as a shepherd of God's flock, I feel continually that accountability.

There are numerous ways that the Old Testament priesthood illustrates these ministry imperatives, as we read in Numbers 3-5. An entire tribe--the Levites--were "numbered" and designated for the duties of the tabernacle. All the other tribes were numbered in terms of men available for military duty. It was their assignment to lead in warfare. The Levites were given ministry duty. It was their assignment to lead in worship.

It is imperative that God has called a person into vocational ministry. The Levites didn't campaign for this job. They were chosen by God. It wasn't man's selection, but God's sovereignty that appointed them. They did not serve out of human wishes, but heaven's will. The first imperative of ministry is to have one! You aren't pursuing this as a personal choice, but are under a powerful compulsion. I enjoy what I do (most of the time) and am thankful for my calling (much of the time) but irrespective of that, I have only one choice--discharging duty or defying Deity!

It is imperative that one recognize the gravity of their responsibility. It was the special privilege of the Levites to be around holy things. The priest could enter the tabernacle. The high priest could enter the Holy of Holies. Moses and Aaron set up camp outside the door of the place where God's glory dwelled. What a privilege! But with that, there was a higher level of accountability. Scripture consistently tells us that to whom much is given, much is required, and that the more light we have, the more scrutiny we are under. To casually and carelessly approach the holy things of God brought judgment then--and still does! We must be holy, to do holy work!

It is imperative to serve in our place and not covet the calling of another. As you read in Numbers, each clan had different duties--some to transport the furnishings, some to dismantle and assemble the tent, some in charge of the the sacrifices and anointing oil--even emptying the ashes from the burnt offerings! I believe that every man of God has an assigned place of service. There is more than a general call--there is a specific charge. If God places a man in the pulpit of Possum Trot Baptist Church, he ought not covet the pulpit of Dallas First Baptist Church. I assure you, there will be times that big-city preacher will long for the intimacy of a smaller congregation! God makes those assignments and it is imperative that we do what He has gifted us to do, where He has placed us.

It is imperative that others serve alongside us. Moses was a great man, but couldn't do it all (review Exodus 18). Aaron was a chosen leader, but couldn't be everywhere. Somebody had to carry the tent pegs. Somebody had to wind up the ropes and tote them. It took a lot of people to carry out the ministry. The success of our ministry depends on the work of our staff--paid and volunteer. If we experience the glory of God in our worship, and lives are transformed by that, it is because of people who prepare the auditorium, keep the nursery, teach the lessons, visit the widows, greet the people, receive the offerings, direct the music, play the instruments, operate the sound, turn on the lights, print the worship folder--and on and on we could go. Furthermore, the ministry was supported by the giving of the people. The priests could not concentrate on their spiritual duties, if distracted by secular responsibilities. I know that I could not bear this burden, unless others carried it with me.

Let me close with a special request in this regard. I am so thankful for those who respond to the imperative of intercession for me! Weigh these words of the Apostle Paul, "Now I appeal to you, brothers, through our Lord Jesus Christ and through the love of the Spirit, to join with me in fervent prayers to God on my behalf." (Romans 15:30 HCSB).

It was exactly a week ago, that one of my most faithful prayer warriors, Margaret Stamey, went home to be with the Lord. She consistently prayed for me and let me know it. That was so encouraging! I will miss her. I still need prayer. Who will fill her shoes? Someone needs to step up! Several someones should! What about you?

May these words be more than music, but a mandate:

Brethren, we have met to worship and adore the Lord our God;
Will you pray with all your power, while we try to preach the Word?
All is vain unless the Spirit of the Holy One comes down;
Brethren, pray, and holy manna will be showered all around.

Sisters, will you join and help us? Moses' sister aided him;
Will you help the trembling mourners who are struggling hard with sin?
Tell them all about the Savior, tell them that He will be found;
Sisters, pray, and holy manna will be showered all around. (George Atkins)

No comments: