Monday, February 06, 2012

WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH


"So Moses went back to the Lord and asked, 'Lord, why have You caused trouble for this people? And why did You ever send me? Ever since I went in to Pharaoh to speak in Your name he has caused trouble for this people, and You haven't delivered Your people at all.' " (Exodus 5:22, 23 HCSB)

The day after--the day after the Super Bowl, that is. After America's largest spectacle on football's biggest stage, I am left to ponder my playing days--albeit on a much smaller scale. It was 1971, and I was on the A.C. Reynolds Rockets' roster. It seems like yesterday. I can still remember the locker room where we put on the pads--gladiators of the gridiron. The coaches had posted motivational signs--handwritten with a black magic marker on white poster board--that were intended to "fire us up." One that was prominently displayed, near my cubicle, proclaimed, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

So, out I went--all 145 pounds of me, yet tough as nails--and often found the going tough. There was nothing like getting in the way of a speeding locomotive called a fullback, who was bigger and faster than you, and bringing him to the ground--getting up with his cleat marks all over you, since he decided the closest distance was in a straight line, that he made toward the end zone. He didn't try to evade you, but steamroll you. Still, I could recall the coach's inspiring words, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

Apparently, the opposing team had read the same quotes. So, it boiled down to talent. After four quarters of this pounding, most often we walked off the field bruised and beaten. The Rockets sometime crashed and burned in those days. Then, shedding pads, rubbing bruises and bandaging contusions, as I headed to the showers in an attempt to wash off the stench of defeat, there awaited the wondrous quote, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going." It was mockery! I wanted to puke.

Maybe, Moses felt the same way.

He had marched onto Pharaoh's home turf and demanded that Egypt's king release his fellow Hebrews. God had sent him and what did Moses expect? Surely, Pharaoh would do as God demanded. Moses had his team fired up and they were ready to head out in victory. What met Moses on his way to the goal was a bone-jarring tackle that drove him into the ground!

"Later, Moses and Aaron went in and said to Pharaoh, 'This is what Yahweh, the God of Israel, says: Let My people go, so that they may hold a festival for Me in the wilderness.'
But Pharaoh responded, 'Who is Yahweh that I should obey Him by letting Israel go? I do not know [anything about] Yahweh, and besides, I will not let Israel go.' " (Exodus 5:1, 2 HCSB)

On top of that, the tyrant does some trash-talking and calls the Jews a bunch of slackers! If they have time to sacrifice to God, then they have too much time on their hands--and so Pharaoh will show these goof-offs as he demands the same quota of bricks, even though they must now gather their own straw to make them. It is a virtually impossible task, and when they fail to do it, their foremen beat them mercilessly!

The fans were not happy with the quarterback! They boo him as he leaves the field. Not only did he fail to throw a touchdown--he had been intercepted--a pick six for the other team.

"When they left Pharaoh, they confronted Moses and Aaron, who stood [waiting] to meet them. 'May the Lord take note of you and judge,' they said to them, 'because you have made us reek in front of Pharaoh and his officials-putting a sword in their hand to kill us!' "(Exodus 5:20, 21 HCSB)

They were ready for a new quarterback.

Moses wanted to discuss the game plan with the Coach.

"So Moses went back to the Lord and asked, 'Lord, why have You caused trouble for this people? And why did You ever send me? Ever since I went in to Pharaoh to speak in Your name he has caused trouble for this people, and You haven't delivered Your people at all.' "(Exodus 5:22, 23 HCSB)

The Coach isn't in a panic. We may be; God never is. The game plan hasn't changed. Moses just needed to trust the Lord and execute the plays--even, when the going gets tough. It always will. We have a foe on the other side of the field.

When the going gets tough, there are three fundamentals to tenaciously cling to. God tells Moses to reflect on His presence, recall all His promises and rely on His provision.

"But the LORD replied to Moses, 'Now you are going to see what I will do to Pharaoh: he will let them go because of My strong hand; he will drive them out of his land because of My strong hand.' " (Exodus 6:1 HCSB)

When the going gets tough for us, we must reflect on God's presence. Four times, God says, "I am." Moses is reminded of who has sent him and that He will be with Him.

"Then God spoke to Moses, telling him, 'I am Yahweh. I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but I did not reveal My name Yahweh to them. ... Therefore tell the Israelites: I am Yahweh, and I will deliver you from the forced labor of the Egyptians and free you from slavery to them. I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and great acts of judgment. I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. You will know that I am Yahweh your God, who delivered you from the forced labor of the Egyptians. I will bring you to the land that I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and I will give it to you as a possession. I am Yahweh.' " (Exodus 6:2, 3, 6-8 HCSB)

He is all powerful--El Shaddai "God Almighty." The Hebrew title God takes for Himself reminds us that the One who is with us is far stronger than the one who stands against us! He is all sufficient--"Yahweh" is His name. He revealed Himself to Moses as, "I AM"--and He is all in all. There is nothing we need that He is not present to provide in Himself.

When the going gets tough for us, we must recall all God's promises. Twice God says, "I have." Moses is reminded of God's covenant with His people and that His word is His bond.

"Furthermore, I have heard the groaning of the Israelites, whom the Egyptians are forcing to work as slaves, and I have remembered My covenant." (Exodus 6:5 HCSB)

He has heard our cry, "I have heard the groaning." He is not ignoring your problems. He is vitally interested in them and involved in solving them. He has heeded His covenant, "I have remembered My covenant." Like Israel, we are the covenant people of God. His name and His glory are bound up in us. He will not fail us!

When the going gets tough for us, we must rely on God's provision. Seven times God says, "I will" Moses is reminded of God's purposes and that His will cannot be thwarted.

"But the LORD replied to Moses, 'Now you are going to see what I will do to Pharaoh: he will let them go because of My strong hand; he will drive them out of his land because of My strong hand.' " (Exodus 6:1 HCSB)

"Therefore tell the Israelites: I am Yahweh, and I will deliver you from the forced labor of the Egyptians and free you from slavery to them. I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and great acts of judgment. I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. You will know that I am Yahweh your God, who delivered you from the forced labor of the Egyptians. I will bring you to the land that I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and I will give it to you as a possession. I am Yahweh." (Exodus 6:6-8 HCSB)

He will overcome our opponent, "Now you are going to see what I will do to Pharaoh." Is the enemy stronger than we are? Who is this pipsqueak compared to God? He will lift our burdens, "I will deliver you from the forced labor." The burdens might be too heavy for us, but we can cast all our care on the Lord, for He cares for us. He will redeem our life, "I will redeem you." If God has taken care of your greatest need--forgiveness of sin--with His greatest provision--redemption from sin--how will He fail to meet every lesser need? He will possess His people, "I will take you as My people." Our heavenly Father loves us! He will personally be involved, "I will be your God." He doesn't just send in a play from the coach's box above--He takes the field with us! He will bring us victory, "I will bring you to the land." From the start of the game until the final play, God leads us to victory! He will give us reward, "I will give it to you as a possession." Today, the New York Giants bask in the glory of a championship and possess the Lombardi Trophy--Super Bowl winners. What a day is promised when earth's clock reaches zero in the countdown and we enter heaven with the accolades heaped on us and we take the victor's crown! Then we will lay our trophies at Jesus' feet--the One who made it all possible. Hallelujah!

So, if today the going gets tough, forget the nonsense about getting tough yourself. When the going gets tough, do what Moses did--get going to God. His presence, promises and provision is enough--more than enough.

We will not pull out the game on a final, frantic touchdown drive as we saw Eli Manning engineer. It is going to be a beat down of the devil--not even close!

No comments: